Friday, June 24, 2011

Singapore Math

This summer I am taking 2 math classes.  The first one (An Intro to Singapore Math) started this week.  Our district does not use Singapore Math, but I'm always looking for new ideas.  So far what I like about Singapore Math is how they go from contrete to pictorial to abstract.  Reflecting on how I teach math I have to say that the pictorial part is lacking and now it makes sense as to why students struggle with the abstract.  I really think that this sequence gives students a solid understanding of basic concepts and relationships before working at the abstract level. 

After searching the internet for ideas I came across these websties:
 Number Bond Machines 
Bonds of Ten
 Number Bonds Game 
Math Word Problems

Well that's it for now

1 comments:

Rachel Lamb said...

Our district has really gotten into this too. All teachers were required to take a foundations of math class and many of the articles were all about Singapore math. Our new Math Expressions is a nice little break from the old ways of teaching...