Monday, October 22, 2012

Making Fact Practice Fun!

By the end of the year 2nd graders need to know how to add and subract fluently within 20.  Here are two awesome resources to help reach that goal.


Xtra math is a great website for practicing math facts.  This is a free site.  All you have to do is sign up and enter your students name. Xtra Math uses tests to determine what facts students need to practice.  It is real easy to use in the classroom.  When a student is finished it gives them the name of the next person.  Every Monday I recieve an email with the latest information on where students are at.  It's another data piece to use with parents as well.  You can print out parent letters that give information on how students can practice at home too.  This past week I had my first student complete the addition facts.  I received an email and I printed out the certificate for my student.  My whole class was excited.  That night I had parents emailing me that their child wanted to practice more at home!  I almost forgot the most important part-  This is a FREE resource!


Another great resource is Arcademic Skill Builders.  This one is just a bit more fun!  It uses arcade type games to promote speed. Games can personalized through a series of settings.  There are many different games/skills to choose from.

I use both of these sites all the time.  Xtra Math the students work on this during our morning routine and during math centers.  I use Arcademic Skill Buliders during math centers as well.  The students love to do this one on the Smartboard.  Even today when we had inside recess my students wanted to play the games.

These sites are a great way to bump up that fact fluency with students.

4 comments:

Rikki said...

Wow, I didn't know about this site. Thanks for sharing. I will be using this with my kiddos! Thanks!
ஐRikki

The Hive

Room 214-Ms. Wenzel's Blog said...

These two sites are two of my favorite for my Multi-agers!!! I Ditto your suggestions!
Smiles!

Katie said...

I've neve heard of the academic skill builders website! Thanks so much- the kids will LOVE it!! :)

Briana said...

Thank you for sharing these sites! I signed my kiddos up at Xtra Math today and also on another one called TenMarks.